[squeak-dev] Packages, Packages, Packages

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Dec 12 18:07:46 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:

> I think that's all the serious contenders at this point (if I'm missing
> something please let me know). From my perspective, I don't care which
> solution we choose as long as it fits the bill of:
> * Being indexable by Google
> * Reasonable dependency management

My experience with RPMs, RPMs+Synaptic, APT, Portage and many others is
that reasonable dependency management is sometimes unreasonable. When
that happens, what will save you is if "being indexable by Google" means
the capability to find out which package has a particular file. In our
case, what we need badly right now is, given the name of some missing
class, figure out what to load into our image to fix that.

Of course, given the kinds of names that Squeak packages tend to have,
"being indexable by Google" also helps if it means being able to type
"squeak multiple windows" and have the first hit be "Areithfa Ffenestri"
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862

-- Jecel