[squeak-dev] Re: Image Versions (Re: Trunk image size)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Dec 12 21:33:28 UTC 2009

On 12/12/09 2:43 AM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> Ok, what if stop here, modify
>> unloadSomeMore
>> #( 'SMLoader' 'SMBase' 'ScriptLoader' 'Universes' 'Installer' )
>>         do: [:ea | (MCPackage named: ea) unload].
>>         self fixObsoleteReferences
>
> Before we start unloading packages we really need to have a little chat
> about how to deal with "external" packages and what the default
> configuration of Squeak should be. (I owe the board a post on this topic
> and I think today is the day where I'm doing that, so stay tuned)

No news , until now

>> And nominate Squeak3.11, declare Squeak 3.10.2 closed.
>
> 3.10.2 *is* closed for all intents and purposes. Don't confuse the
> naming of the current trunk image. It is not meant to imply that it will
> be the basis for a 3.10.3 release. It's only meant to imply that this
> was the take-off point. (and like I said I'll be happy to switch to 3.11
> name in the next build)

>> We have a deal ?
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure what work you are referring to. Can you repeat the
> list of steps you're proposing?
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

First point of agree (or not)

The boundary between 3.10 and next image, let me name 3.11, should be when
in the Trunk process we introduce Closures.

It's clear a Closures images don't could load old .pr , as example.
Need a  different VM.

So, we should
Use old beloved sftp://updates@ftp.squeak.org/home/updates/
Put here some .cs for start the Trunk process
I send some a few days ago.
I beg you review, approve or change to your will
Put the .cs in the folder
When process  try to load Closures, this should be the end of 3.10.2 and the
start of 3.11
Here should be
nnnnAdvanceToThreeDotTenAlpha

Here I run all boring test in Mac, Windows XP and Linuz ASAP .
Send the ugly true to list.
Ugly as different OS give me different green, yellow , blue
I think this upset Ralph...

Waiting news...

Edgar

Edgar