[squeak-dev] Source file index encoding rant

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Dec 13 17:04:52 UTC 2009

Am 13.12.2009 um 13:12 schrieb Igor Stasenko:

> 2009/12/12 David F <davidf at gmx.us>:
>> Also it would be very nice to move from carriage returns to line feeds to
>> delimit lines in these files.  That way, when unix commands like grep happen
>> to stumble over .changes, it doesn't output the entire file.  And, better
>> yet, it would enable the use of standard unix commands on those files.
>>
> -1 here. We shouldn't care about idiosyncrasy of outside world more
> than necessary.
> The .changes and .sources files is meant to be used inside squeak.
> They're not meant to be viewed or edited using external tools.

That was my first reaction too.

But OTOH it doesn't really matter to Squeak which line endings are used by default. I do find myself writing special little scripts to deal with CR files on any new machine I have to work on for a while. It would make it easier for unix people like me, while not making a difference to others who do not use unix shell tools anyway.

- Bert -