[squeak-dev] Loading Monticello Packages Programmatically

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun Dec 13 17:16:54 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-13, at 8:55 AM, Jon Hylands wrote:

> The Overo will have wifi, and thus be on my local network. I want to
> push code to it by sending a command (over a socket) to a running
> headless image, and have it load a specific version of code from
> Monticello from a network drive, into the live running image.
>
> Is MczInstaller the proper way to do that?

MczInstaller is meant to load the chunk-format code inside an mcz archive without using the normal Monticello machinery. This is useful for bootstrapping Monticello its self or for loading code inside an mcz archive without having to dig around inside the zip manually.

It sounds like you want to update existing code and not just load a package from scratch, right? If so, it would better to use Monticello rather than just MczInstaller. In that case, you'd do:

MCVersionReader loadVersionFile: '/mnt/dns323/monticello/package-name.XXX.mcz'

Colin