[squeak-dev] Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Dec 13 20:34:15 UTC 2009

On 12/13/09 6:27 PM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> I still don't understand what you're proposing here. Are you saying that
> you want to add to the update stream for 3.10.2? Then people load up to
> the closure bootstrap and that's the end of the life time of 3.10?

Yes, because as 3.8 don't have Traits and 3.9 yes ,  now the most important
thing should be 3.10 don't have Closures, 3.11 yes

> I like it but we should have a community understanding what we'd like to
> see in the "standard" image. It may be similar to FunSqueak but it would
> be good if we'd have some discussions about the things we'd like to see
> in it.

I send many mails for agree on some.
I want consensus, not doing my will
We want the bigger image with the all things which run without odd glues ?
Yes No

If the answer is yes

Which one more ? Some in the image NOT should be ?

> I agree. What I'd like to see is a core image that strictly gets smaller
> and that really nobody uses to work in, only to verify that it's
> self-consistent and can be used to boostrap larger images. That image
> would not include anything that we can possibly remove without loosing
> the ability to build up from it.

Yes

>  From this image we build up the "default" image that most of us work
> in. Hopefully, this can be done by a simple automated process like Mason
> or similar so that we have a way of mechanically recreating that image
> from first principles if we need to.

Yes

> On top of this, there should be a nice and easily usable package
> management system that people can use to load whatever they want.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Ok
Cheers