[squeak-dev] Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Dec 13 20:46:18 UTC 2009

On 12/13/09 6:40 PM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> I think that's the wrong approach. Images build on top of the core
> should generally *add* things, not remove them. If the packages are not
> required in the core they should be removed from it and then be added
> back at the next level up.

For the n time, the most near to core is MinimalMorphic and need work
But how you have this?

1) Pavel procedure, rip and you have a image maybe don't run and need hours
to be usable as mine

2) Ralph and me procedure. Each release cut some packages , maybe this could
improve but the fact is 3.10 have less packages as 3.9 and all could be
loaded again

> In other words, if you have packages that we can safely remove from the
> core images, we should remove them, and put them back via build script
> into the "standard" image.

You repeat some we agree before

>> " ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 new unloadSomeMore"
>> #('SMLoader' 'SMBase'  'ScriptLoader' 'Universes' 'Installer'  )
>
> These are excellent candidates. However, we must make sure that we can
> load them back, and we *should* load them back in the standard image.
>
>> As where put the packages.
>> In squeaksource if his authors care or any wish maintain
>
> This sounds as if we would suddenly stop supporting Squeakmap or
> Universes or Installer. I am *not* in favor of that. That's why we need
> to have the discussion about what is in the "standard" Squeak image. I
> would argue that Installer, Squeakmap, Universes belong in the standard
> image for the time being; but they don't belong in the core image. As a
> consequence, we should keep them in the trunk repository.

Ok, let all removed packages in the trunk repository.
All could be reload and work as good (or bad) as now.
But repeat, backwards compatibility have cons and pros
Or we move forward with this proposal and try Mason or we do nothing.

It's Board decision.
I only have suggestions and could work doing whatever Board decide

I think all is clear now and stop the subject but read carefully all have to
say

Edgar