[squeak-dev] A reengineering the CompiledMethod trailers

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 23:45:32 UTC 2009

2009/12/14 Ken G. Brown <kbrown at mac.com>:

> Not sure how this relates exactly but there has been quite a bit of work in the past re: Virtual Image 4.0 format.
> See:
> New Compiled Method Format
> <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/750>
>
> and:
> VI4 project
> <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2119>

Oh, the changes in that project is much wider and requiring changing
the image format and VM.
My changes is much less significant and don't require rebuilding a whole image.
It is gradual change which doesn't changes the way how VM deals with
compiled methods,
but rather will change the way how tools (compiler/decompiler etc)
handing the compiled methods metadata encoding in trailing bytes.
And it backwards compatible with 99% of existing compiled methods.
Unless you start using new trailer kinds, it will remain the same.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.