[squeak-dev] Re: A 1 million bucks question :)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue Dec 15 03:14:10 UTC 2009

The details I don't have right off-hand but this has been done at least
for Debian now at least twice.  First for at least a couple of years Lex
Spoon maintained a repository, then more recently someone whose name I
just can't remember right now, but whose username is kosik, has
maintained a Debian repository at

http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/

and anyone that wished to download from it simply added this to their
apt configuration.  I assume the difficulty is on the same order of
difficulty if not simpler for rpm-based distributions.

The problem is not getting started on this sort of project, it is
maintaining momentum.  The current repository is over 2 years out of
date.

Part of the problem is that the potential user-base of any particular
repository is probably not that large.  I myself have been a Debian user
for a decade or more and while I used the available repository a couple
of times, inevitably for one reason or another I always built my own VMs
and used a wide range of images and as such the repository was of little
use to me.  While I'm sure there are some users, certainly it would be
useful to newcomers, the reality is that the more hardcore users find it
more limiting than useful.

Ken