[squeak-dev] A 1 million bucks question :)

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:27:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> i used squeak on linux couple of times and installed it using
> 'official' way - from repositories.
> The problem with it, that VM & image loaded in that way is years old.
> I remember, there was a bit of tension between linux distro
> maintainers and the way how squeak distributing itself(image, not
> sources).
> So, i guess its hopeless to expect it up-to-date in linux distros.
> What should i do to get latest & hottest prebuilt VM available, can
> anyone direct me to the right place?
> And yes, I could build it myself, but i looking for binaries.
> Is there a pre-built package(s) which i can download by myself and install?

Other people have already answered this. I never use the packages and
I prefer to install VM binaries in the same directory as their images.

My preference would be to have a multi-platform installation: a zip file with:

Squeak/squeak-x86-windows.exe (windows VM)
Squeak/squeak-x86-64-windows.exe (windows VM)
Squeak/squeak-x86-linux (linux VM)
Squeak/squeak-x86-64-linux (linux VM)
Squeak/(whatever the MacOS executable is)
Squeak/plugins/ (plugins for each platform)
Squeak/squeak.image
Squeak/squeak.changes
Squeak/SqueakV?.sources
Squeak/ReadMe.txt ("This is Squeak version 3.11".....)

Then you have ONE file to download, and you can run Squeak from your
USB key regardless of the host computer and packaging system it uses.

Installers such as those windows ones ("setup.exe") or packaging
systems should download the latest version of this zip file from
squeak.org.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/