[squeak-dev] Re: A reengineering the CompiledMethod trailers

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 14:50:06 UTC 2009

2009/12/15 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 05:01:17PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Ken G. Brown wrote:
>> >At 12:14 AM +0200 12/14/09, Igor Stasenko apparently wrote:
>> >Not sure how this relates exactly but there has been quite a bit of work
>> >in the past re: Virtual Image 4.0 format.
>> >See:
>> >New Compiled Method Format
>> ><http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/750>
>> >
>> >and:
>> >VI4 project
>> ><http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2119>
>>
>> It doesn't relate. There may be some inspiration for how to deal with
>> source pointers but to be honest, I find Igors approach vastly more
>> useful since it doesn't immediately add a megabyte or more to the image
>> size (which would happen if you go to an explicit source pointer
>> representation) but rather makes the encoding explicitly accessible.
>>
>> Go Igor!
>
> +1
>
> FYI, and just to make sure it does not get overlooked, there is also
> this from Markus Denker:
>
>  Mantis 4369: [Patch] Both source files now with 512MB capacity
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=4369

it adds a sourcePointer ivar to MethodProperties.
But i wonder, why its still limits the max pointer value, since once
you got ivar for it, you can store virtually anything there..
My changes is less intrusive - it won't change the space required to
hold the sourcePointer, nor the place where it held (4 bytes in
trailer) unless you allow to have large .source/.changes files and
therefore may need more than 4 bytes to encode the sourcepointer for
some of the methods.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.