[squeak-dev] Stuff

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Dec 16 04:47:25 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-15, at 3:48 PM, keith wrote:

> 1. Colin seams to think that he needed to develop Mason because Bob requires the building code, i.e. Sake to be in the image being built.

I stand corrected.

>  Tell me I wasn't wasting my time... oh yes I was, silly me.

Apparently I'm the one who wasted his time, building something that already existed. ;-)

> So basically Colin admits that he didn't even look at Bob before writing Mason. This is precisely the same "Not invented Here" approach that I spent so long arguing against in the Pharo camp. This is why I have left the squeak community.

I did take a good look at Sake, and a somewhat more cursory look at Bob, via whatever information I could find on the web. Apparently I didn't understand it well enough. I apologize for spreading misinformation.

With hindsight, though, I'm glad I implemented Mason, despite the duplication of effort. With you having left the community, Bob and Sake are unsupported. Mason has become crucial to my development practices and I wouldn't want to be relying on unsupported software that I don't fully understand.

Colin