[squeak-dev] Re: Unix updates

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 16 11:18:47 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On 16.12.2009, at 09:23, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> Question for the Unix folks: If we know that what you get via package
>>> install is most likely very old, would it make sense to check inside
>>> Squeak whether a new version is available? I.e., just a simple
>>>
>>> (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://www.squeak.org/current_version') =
>>> SystemVersion current ifFalse:[self inform: 'A new version of Squeak
>>> has become available. Would you like to install it now?'].
>>>
>>> might help get people more accustomed with later developments. Would
>>> that be a sensible thing to do?
>>
>> It would be highly unusual in Linux, where version management and
>> updates are provided by the system rather than by individual packages.
>
> Never mind then ;-)

You know, actually I take my original proposal back. What we should
probably do is to hook something into the update mechanism that checks
whether there is a newer *released* version of Squeak and points people
there if so. This would make sense for two reasons: First, it's tied
into the update mechanism so telling you that there's a new release is
valuable. Second, it would mean you're going to stick with the released
versions instead of getting interim development stuff. If you're still
on the latest release you just fetch updates (fixes) for this release.
If there's a newer one, we tell you (with the option of ignoring that of
course). How does that sound as a concept?

Cheers,
   - Andreas