[squeak-dev] Re: A 1 million bucks question :)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 16 13:42:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:41:07PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/12/16 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> > Question for the Unix folks: If we know that what you get via package
> > install is most likely very old, would it make sense to check inside Squeak
> > whether a new version is available? I.e., just a simple
> >
> > (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://www.squeak.org/current_version') =
> > SystemVersion current ifFalse:[self inform: 'A new version of Squeak has
> > become available. Would you like to install it now?'].
> >
> > might help get people more accustomed with later developments. Would that be
> > a sensible thing to do?
> >
> most of software nowadays doing so.
> But i don't like software which starts using my wires without asking
> my permission.

I think i would be good to make it very easy for the first time user
to get the latest version, but it should be optional. For example, a
workspace the says "Please click this button to complete your installation.
Clicking OK will load the latest Squeak software versions from servers
on the network."

I agree with Igor that software should not do things like this without
asking for permission. Also, we should respect that many users will
not be connected to high speed networks, so it would not be good if
the first-time user experience involved a 48 hour download over a
300 baud phone coupler ;)

Dave