[squeak-dev] Modular Plugins

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 03:34:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

Currently, the *Plugin.c file is generated from Slang code which is pre-loaded
into the vmm image and not distributed with the plugins/ directory. The first
line in such generated files is a cryptic:
 /* Automatically generated from Squeak on #(7 March 2007 2:25:53 pm) */

This line contains no clue about the version of the slang code or the vmm
which translated it to C.

I have two proposals towards modular plugins:

1. Keep all sources, including the Slang code, in the *Plugins/ directories
(Cross/, ${PLATFORM})? When a plugin is selected as internal/external, its
changeset can be loaded into VMM ready for translation/testing. The changeset
blob can be subject to version control just like other hand-coded files.

2. Generate support header files like sqVirtualMachine.h along with *Plugin.c
file, so that the code can be built independent of the VM directory layout.
This will be useful while porting sq*.c files to a different platform - say like
hacking device names or timings.

BTW, I am sending this to squeak-dev and not vm-dev to elicit broader
feedback.

Subbu