[squeak-dev] Re: What are MethodDictionary faults?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 14:07:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> What questions is, what are these faults?  Why a method dictionary can be
>> in nil ? How is this produced ? And how is it fixed?
>>

> These faults are messages generated by the VM when a class has no method
> dictionary. Why? Because it can be used to discover which classes are used.
>

>  But again...how can that be nil ???
>>

> See ClassDescription>>induceMDFault.

Ok. Perfect. I could perfectly saw that when trying to discover used
classes. I also saw the method ClassDescription>> induceMDFault.

However, I still have this question:

Forget about discovering classes, could be possible that for a certain
situation the VM puts a nil to a method directory or always that happens
this is done with that intention, throught the message induceMDFault ?   If
it is always throught induceMDFault   the only sender is to discover used
classes with ImageSegment.  So...it is used ONLY in that?