[squeak-dev] Re: Cosmetic: move or remove a few temps inside closures

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Dec 28 01:47:09 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Nicolas, i don't want to discourage you. Your dedication is beyond
> praises, but as to me, we have a lot of
> code, which requires deep revision & ground-up rewriting and from this
> point, spending a precious time with just polishing seems like a waste
> to me.

I can only second that. I find polishing to be mostly useful within a
subsystem when I have time to do final tweaks but most parts of the
system are not in that shape and actually require more drastic changes.

> However, if you like such kind of envolvement, i got an idea for you:
> get rid of globals. :)

Actually, it is more worthwhile to think about how the globals interact
than merely replace them. If you look at what David and I have done with
  Projects you get the idea - define an interface that provides a
natural bottleneck for the context of the operation and vector it
through this.

> Here's my list of most hated globals:
> - Display
> - Sensor
> - World
> - SourceFiles
> - SystemChangeNotifier
> - Utils

Most of these could (and probably should) be vectored through Project
current (i.e., Project current display/sensor/world/sources) and it
would make some excellent sense because much of it is already project
bound. That's the kind of refactoring that is both useful and (when
complete) quite rewarding as it allows us to unload things that were
previously unloadable.

Cheers,
   - Andreas