[squeak-dev] Re: Mouseover on a touch screen

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Mon Dec 28 15:28:56 UTC 2009

--On Thursday, December 24, 2009 14:19:35 -0500 I wrote:

> For many years now I have created artistic content that makes intensive
> use of mouseovers. About a year ago I got a Nokia N810, and played a bit
> with Squeak on that device. I've still not recovered from the shock of
> realizing that on a touch screen, there is no such thing as mouseover!:
> you cannot get the mouse cursor to move without putting it down. What to
> do.

I've made some progress at understanding how I think this should work, but
am still deep in the swamp at understanding how to accomplish it. Here is
my idea, in the simplest possible terms:

If there is a mouseDown event, and a morph is available that should handle
it, there is no change to how Morphic event handling works. However: if no
handling morph is available, then the event system should not change state
and should act as though the event never occurred.

I'm having some trouble following how "state" is maintained. There is
mouseFocus, of course. Is there more to mouse state than this? Where should
I look to find where state is changed when the mouse goes down?

-Thanks, Jim

---
 Jim Rosenberg                      http://www.well.com/user/jer/
     Internet: jr at amanue.com