[squeak-dev] Re: Last update broke browsers...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 28 16:51:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 02:03:12PM +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >In any case, I can confirm that this same problem has happened one time
> >to me. Unfortunately that I cannot reproduce it in other images, and it
> >is hard to figure out what is wrong with the broken image because all the
> >debugger windows have the same "red X" failure.
> Try moving .sources and .changes out of the way. If it's in any way 
> related to source file handling (I'm not convinced of that), this should 
> avoid using them.

I tried running the broken image with .sources and .changes out of
the way, and there is not change to the symptoms.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:10:13AM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> I saw some code trapping Exception in the MultiDisplayScanner family.
> That might be a source of problems.


The SqueakDebug.log points at MultiDisplayScanner, so I took a look
at recent changes there. Some methods were out of sync with the
trunk repository, but should not have been. I reloaded the package,
and the image is no longer broken.

So I think that I must have corrupted my changes file (and some
compiled methods) for this image during my earlier work on the large
changes files, and this produced the red X problem later on.

My only remaining concern is that Casimiro de Almeida Barreto reports
similar sounding symptoms in his broken image. Hopefully it's just
a coincidence.


More information about the Squeak-dev mailing list