[squeak-dev] NanoTraits are go

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 30 03:37:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 09:58:34PM +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Unless people voice concerns about this version I'll be pushing it into
> the trunk over the next couple of days.

The only thing that I would want to check - and apologies for my ignorance
here - is backward compatibility with regards to image segments. My
recollection is that Squeak 3.9 broke all kinds of things, including
SqueakMap and EToys projects, as a result of incompatibilities associated
with the introduction of traits into the image. So I would just want to
make sure that NanoTraits does not introduce further incompatibilities
that might make it more difficult to support EToys projects in the future.

> Finally, we can measure the differences between the implementations more
> accurately, for example:

Outstanding. Simplifying traits can only be a good thing, regardless of
how much or how little they may be used in practice.

Dave