[squeak-dev] Trivial questions?

Friedrich Dominicus frido at q-software-solutions.de
Thu Dec 31 08:29:01 UTC 2009

Dear Smalltalker, I'm trying to get into Smalltalk a bit more
seriously. I'm especially currently trying to get into Seaside
programmming and the persistence of Objects. I found GLASS, which seems
to be remarkabel in that aspect. Now I wonder

1) How does one do versioning in Smalltalk. AFAIU it seems, one files
out ChangeSets which then can be read in in another image. Am I wrong
about that?

2) How does one Data Migration in Smalltalk? I just know it from Rails,
where one has migrations, but how's that done in the Persistence layers
of some Smalltalk. E.g what happens if I add or remove instance
variables?

There are somewhat related question but more about GLASS. I read teh
gemstone soup up and down, and was able to install the Web Edition on my
System also. It was a few days work but I learned a lot. However I found
just a few videos about Gemstone, but not more "serious" use (with more
database related stuff, scheme changes etc) Would you mind to share
your experiences?

Regards
Friedrich

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus