[squeak-dev] Technical Report on OLPC Etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Feb 4 13:39:05 UTC 2009

A new Technical Report has been posted to the VPRI website, titled
"Etoys for One Laptop Per Child" by Scott Wallace, Yoshiki Ohshima,
and Yours Truly:

http://www.vpri.org/html/writings.php

Abstract

We present an overview of the “OLPC Etoys” system, describe the
intensive two-year development effort that produced the system, and
discuss lessons learned. OLPC Etoys is an end-user authoring system
for children, which was chosen to be distributed with the OLPC XO
laptops at an early stage of the OLPC project.

Since we planned to derive OLPC Etoys by evolving an existing, mature
system (“Squeakland”), it was expected to be a relatively
straightforward undertaking. However, the OLPC XO platform’s special
hardware characteristics, the evolution of the Sugar software stack,
and the fundamentally international and multilingual nature of the
project, all conspired to make the development effort challenging.

Over the two-year course of the project, we successfully kept up with
the challenges, and delivered usable Etoys systems for every OLPC
release. We steadily improved the UI, added a few high-leverage
features, and fixed bugs, with a small and widely-distributed team and
with help from the community.

- Bert -