[squeak-dev] linux squeak 3.10.2

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Feb 4 16:00:17 UTC 2009

I apologize in advance if I'm simply stating the obvious here, but I
can't tell what you mean exactly from the below.

First, as I'm sure you are aware, Squeak is fundamentally made up of two
parts: the Virtual Machine and the Image.  We'll ignore the source code
aspects for now which are of course 2 other files.  The development of
the two main pieces occurs in parallel certainly, but somewhat
separately.  The result of this is that in effect at all times there are
two pieces with slightly different version numbers that are both
current.

As Mariano mentioned the usual site to find the very latest Unix VM is

http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/

Where you will currently find a 3.10-4 version.  The basis for this
version number is fundamentally the major version of the image used to
generate it, and a minor version number as new VM releases are issued
between major image releases.  This is not completely consistent across
platforms so you will see variations in version numbers for Mac and
Windows and other platforms for the VM.  By and large the VM changes
slowly and there is rarely a need for most people to update it very
often.

The Image is the primary element most people are interested in and where
most change occurs.  This part is cross platform and the same image can
be used with any reasonably modern VM.  The most recent release is
3.10.2-7179 and in general one can find it at

http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/

Of course in practice the obvious thing to do when looking for the
latest release is to go to

http://www.squeak.org/

where you might find the Download link in the menu to the left or
perhaps the Downloads box at the right.  For Unix the box on the right
simply points to the Download page.  On the Download page you find a
number of links within sections for each platform for the VM and
sections for the Image and Sources.

Frankly I'm curious where you downloaded 3.10.1 (Image or VM?) and got
the impression it was the current release.

Ken