[squeak-dev] Re: linux squeak 3.10.2

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Thu Feb 5 09:02:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:00:17 +0100, Ken Causey wrote:

Ken, this your explanation is very insightful and *very* informative, may
I vote for adding it to

- http://www.squeak.org/Download/

between the sections "Virtual Machine" and "Image file".

Thank you in advance, and of course for the good wording.

/Klaus

> ... Squeak is fundamentally made up of two
> parts: the Virtual Machine and the Image.  We'll ignore the source code
> aspects for now which are of course 2 other files.  The development of
> the two main pieces occurs in parallel certainly, but somewhat
> separately.  The result of this is that in effect at all times there are
> two pieces with slightly different version numbers that are both
> current.
>
> As Mariano mentioned the usual site to find the very latest Unix VM is
>
> http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/
>
> Where you will currently find a 3.10-4 version.  The basis for this
> version number is fundamentally the major version of the image used to
> generate it, and a minor version number as new VM releases are issued
> between major image releases.  This is not completely consistent across
> platforms so you will see variations in version numbers for Mac and
> Windows and other platforms for the VM.  By and large the VM changes
> slowly and there is rarely a need for most people to update it very
> often.
>
> The Image is the primary element most people are interested in and where
> most change occurs.  This part is cross platform and the same image can
> be used with any reasonably modern VM.  The most recent release is
> 3.10.2-7179 and in general one can find it at
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/
>
> Of course in practice the obvious thing to do when looking for the
> latest release is to go to
>
> http://www.squeak.org/
>
> where you might find the Download link in the menu to the left or
> perhaps the Downloads box at the right.  For Unix the box on the right
> simply points to the Download page.  On the Download page you find a
> number of links within sections for each platform for the VM and
> sections for the Image and Sources.

"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein