[squeak-dev] Using Multiple Microphones

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Sat Feb 7 21:38:18 UTC 2009

Martin Bleichner schrieb:
> Hi together,
>
> I try to use the input of multiple microphones (four) in a squeak
> application.
> I already asked this question on the German list and got the reply
> that it won't work.
> Does anybody has an idea for a workaround? Squeak might not really be
> the best language for my project, but as soon as I have the sound
> signal, squeak is perfect for my needs.
I have successfully used a combination of ExternalOSProcess and
/usr/bin/arecord in a recording software which takes 24-bit 2-channel
input at 44.1 kHz for live recording (and CD writing). That works very
well and uses only moderate amounts of processing power.
Using that approach, you should be able to access all ALSA input sources
available on your machine.
Alternatively, you could attach to the ALSA libraries using FFI - I just
was too lazy for doing that, and my performance requirements were easily
met by the arecord solution.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin