[squeak-dev] Re: Winds of change

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz glpunzi at lordzealon.com
Sun Feb 8 09:53:49 UTC 2009

Plus to a little of more documentation, I think one of the problems is not an inconsistent base class, is some packages we install and change this base. This is some powerfull of squeak,but dangerous too.if a package change some,it must warning, and/or launch the test to check all still ok at least.

For example,as far as i remember, FFI must be one of the things you must install before Installer, because the last brokes something for FFI.

We, as developers and/or "core" collaborators,must have always in mind,one of the best tools squeak has, SUnit, and use it, going always to green. I know some people do a great job on this not so far.

I would like to ask, something too,to know if i'm wrong.universes was created to have a collection of packages thath works with a specific version, and solve dependencies.but,don't you think,we abuse of it?

As my example with FFI, if this doesn't install,then something is going wrong. Or install postgress (or glorp,i dont remember)an a primitive fails on tests

On squeakmap times, the package warning you about is not release to this squeak version,or not as stable to install.if you install it, something can go wrong.i like this idea,knowing you can install a package without fear. Implement dependencies to SM could be a solution?

As always, only ideas trying to get a better squeak every time.

Enviado usando Real Mail de Vodafone.