[squeak-dev] How to rewrite a license restricted method?

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Feb 9 20:50:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 15:45 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> How about this one:
>
>  asStringWithCr
>         "Convert to a string with returns between items.  Elements are
> usually strings.
>          Useful for labels for PopUpMenus."
>         ^ String streamContents: [:str |
>             self do: [:each | str nextPutAll: each asString ]
> separatedBy: [ str cr ]
>         ]
>
> Btw, i was surprised to see in String>>printOn: something else than
> 'stream nextPutAll: self' , otherwise we could simply put
> 'each printOn: str' in the method above.

Igor,

I'm going to pick on you so as to head off any possible diversion down
this path, please don't take it personally.

You've missed the point.  I care nothing about this particular method
and don't need assistance rewriting it.  If you are interested in
rewriting methods please join us in this final phase of the licensing
audit.  I'm simply using this as a concrete example to indicate the
issue.

My point is that we need a clear official policy on both the criteria by
which we can simply accept the current version of a method despite one
or more missing licensing agreements relevant to it and the procedure we
should follow when a rewrite is deemed necessary.

The goal of this exercise is not to please you and me.  This is all
about doing due diligence to satisfy everyone else that Squeak 4.0 is
truly a license clean release that anyone can feel safe using and for
which there is no significant legal risk.

Ken