[squeak-dev] Re: How to rewrite a license restricted method?

Zulq Alam me at zulq.net
Tue Feb 10 08:06:38 UTC 2009

Hi Ken,

How many methods are we talking about here? How many are 1 line, 2 line,
have branches, etc? How many entire classes? Do we have some tools to
work this out?

For simple 1 line methods, I think it's reasonable for our policy to be
do nothing. This should certainly be the case for accessors, lazy
initializers and other stuff we deem and can later justify as common place.

For long/complex methods, I think the answer might be to refactor these
into new smaller methods. Slight of hand perhaps, but I think it gets
the job done.

After dealing with the 1 liners and long/complex methods, how many are
we left with?

I suspect the only way to deal with the remainder is for us to write
unit tests, comments and then hire someone who has never touched Squeak
before to write the methods.  They will have to convince the board and
law foundation foundation that they have not touched Squeak before.
It'll never be perfect but I think perfect is impossible.

- Zulq