[squeak-dev] EventSensor questions

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 09:03:39 UTC 2009

Hello list.

I've been looking at discarding Morphic and writing an application to use
Display and EventSensor directly. I have some questions.

I'm seeing an inputSemaphore in the EventSensor class, but it doesn't appear
to be used. Is it used anywhere? Considering that it doesn't appear to be
used, how stable is the VM side of this code?

How many platforms support this inputSemaphore? Does it work on Windows,
Mac and Linux?

Also, am I seeing this right: Morphic polls Sensor? The loop is in
Project>>spawnNewProcess, which eventually calls HandMorph>>processEvents
which reads from Sensor.

Looking at the implementation of EventSensor and InputSensor, what is the
actual history there? In terms of primitives, EventSensor (the "new" class)
seems to be more consistent with chapter 29 of the blue book, while the
InputSensor (the "old" class) uses undocumented primitives. How did it
end up this way?

Thanks,
Gulik.

--