[squeak-dev] On the upcoming Leadership Election

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sat Feb 14 18:58:33 UTC 2009

This is a perfect example of something I think the Leadership team
should NOT have anything to do with.  The Leadership team should
concentrate on those issues where a single decision has to be made or a
job should only be done once.  For example joining the Software Freedom
Conservancy can only be done once, there is no value in competition
here.

On the other hand technical issues can be investigated and solved by
anyone and competition, if any, only improves the situation for
everyone.  I'm certainly not opposed to the Leadership team smoothing
the way somehow, but I currently see nothing it could do on this issue.
I suppose it's conceivable that some day we might end up with two
competing solutions and no easy way to decide.  In that case it might be
appropriate for the Leadership team to step in and arbitrate.  But I
find it extremely hard to believe that the community itself could not
make a decision.

Let me be clear, if this is the sort of thing you expect the Leadership
team to focus on, do not vote for me.  Outside of the Leadership team I
would contribute to a solution to this problem as I could and cheer
right along with everyone else, but just as another developer and
community member, not as a Leadership team member.

Ken