[squeak-dev] Status of 4.0

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 02:06:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn at stonehenge.com>wrote:

> Eliot> Mathew,  and others,
> Eliot>     are you interested in using the closure compiler and VM
> extensions I've
> Eliot> done at Qwaq in 4.0?  These provide ANSI closures with no peformance
> Eliot> degradation and a very small (5 bytecode) increment to the VM.
>
> (Wearing my Leadership Team hat for a moment...)
>
> My initial thought is that I want 3.10.2 and 4.0 to be as close as
> possible,
> differing only in license-mandated issues, so that SFC will have as little
> work as possible to do to assist us with the verification.
>
> However, I *would* like those extensions in a release soon.  I imagine
> that shortly after we get 4.0 released and stabilized, the 3.11 work
> will be folded in to make 4.1, and your changes can go in then as well.
> The exact incorporation process is up to the Release Team though.

Works for me.  When and if the VM is no longer backwards-compatible (e.g.
the Stack VM) one can move to 5.0.
However, I would recommend getting the VM changes into the 4.0 VM as this
will make migrating to image-level closures much easier.  I believe (John,
can you confirm) that John's latest Mac 3.8 beta VMs have included the
closure bytecodes.