[squeak-dev] Status of 4.0

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Feb 16 02:18:15 UTC 2009

On 15-Feb-09, at 6:06 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Works for me.  When and if the VM is no longer backwards-compatible
> (e.g. the Stack VM) one can move to 5.0.
> However, I would recommend getting the VM changes into the 4.0 VM as
> this will make migrating to image-level closures much easier.  I
> believe (John, can you confirm) that John's latest Mac 3.8 beta VMs
> have included the closure bytecodes.

Well I've not done that (yet) was waiting on Eliot for the latest VM
changes before christmas. Then I've been
distracted by an iPhone application.

I recall David T and I last discussed the issues around the source
code changes and how it cheerfully
upgrades your image, which then makes it un-run-able  on the raft of
VMs one has on one's machine, but
I recall we thought we could tie the image version change on save to
only happen if in fact the image
*uses* the closure bytes code.

If one can think up a change set for that, point out the other
required changes then I look into assembling
a 4.0 macintosh and iPhone VM.

--
=
=