[squeak-dev] Re: Google Summer of Code 2009

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Feb 20 07:53:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:08:17 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:09:35 +0100, Aik-Siong Koh wrote:
>>> My experience with the The Squeak Project
>>> GSOC 2008 was excellent and I believe the open source smalltalk
>>> community
>>> has benefited a lot from his efforts.
>>  Benefited, really? To the best of [available] knowledge, someone took
>> Google's money from 2007 and 2008 and run away. Not _really_ a benefit
>> for the community.
>
> As far as I know the project Aik-Siong Koh was mentoring is the only one
> that is currently shipping (in Cobalt). And it is most definitely of
> great value to its community.

Nothing against Cobalt (which promises great value) but this your
statement is about the future, which remains to be seen Mr. Politician ;)
BTW I'm planning to use it for a great event in autumn this year.

> Your question may be worthwhile asking, but Aik-Siong Koh is probably
> not the person to direct it to. You might want to ask the students who
> took the money and didn't deliver.

Just for the records, a small piece for the uninformed: every mentor had
his say whether or not any of the student delivered or not. AFAIK every
student delivered.

> Or rather, their mentors. The list of accepted projects and the
> associated mentors is probably still available somewhere.
>
> BTW, I find this line of questioning completely irrelevant for the
> position we are talking about which is strictly administrative.

Not that I believe that, Andreas ;) but you're of course free to object
to/any person you [dis-] like ;)

> Aik-Siong Koh has been a mentor last year, involved in the entire
> process and short of actually running the process that is as much
> qualification as anyone can ask for.

Sure, same for the other mentors.

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein