[squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] LevelPlayingField update

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 15:05:01 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Keith,
>
> i think this is the right situation to deal with this once and for all.
> Write a Request for Feature for integration installer stuff with
> squeak.org site.
> And put it on table for Leadership & Web teams.
>
> If you remember, from very start, i was against putting squeak-related
> stuff on external hosting, to avoid such situations.

I agree with you.

There were pros and cons. swiki doesnt have proper urls, and its file
management (a) is very limited. I could easily have put my own wiki up
and retained complete control, but then I am afraid that I would not
have been able to guarantee the uptime.

FYI: There is a new automatic low maintenance version of LPF.st, which
scans squeaksource for the latest, and loads the source from within the
mcz file obtained. This totally reduces the need for (a) to virtually zero.

Having transitioned to Installer-Scripts I am very pleased with the
result especially the speed.

The pbwiki, primarily fulfilled our need for bootstrapping code.
Installer-Scripts fulfil this purpose, so at present we dont have a need
for a permanent web site home for installler scripts. However...
Installer continues to be willing to be pointed at any web page, and the
exact tags it looks for are configurable via #markers:

For anyone who feels a need to bootstrap source code, a new feature of
Installer is available to fileIn the source.st file. This allows you to
write installer scripts to load Monticello packages, even if Monticello
itself has not been loaded, useful for those into small kernel images.

(Installer url:
'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/Monticello.impl-kph.636.mcz') bootstrap

cheers

Keith