[squeak-dev] Re: Burn the Squeak Image! (Why I am running for board)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 16:56:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com>wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:55:38 +0100, David Mitchell wrote:
>
>  KernalImage doesn't have a GUI.
>>

> Here's a bit more background; Eliot is this headless enough?

Yes, this looks good.  I would still prefer to go that little bit further
and construct the core image from first principles, e.g. using John
Maloney's MicroSqueak, as I described earlier in this thread.  But Pavel's
headless core looks to me to be functionally the right starting point.  In
any case it can be used to derive the other images while the
first-principles bootstrap is being built (if it doesn't exist already).

Why go that "little bit further" and create the image from first principles?
 Repeatability.  The the freedom to choose new object representations and
bytecode sets, & hence Bootstrapping new languages like Newspeak is much
easier.  Hydra might benefit from pre-packaged minimal starting-points that
can easily be tailored.

-