[squeak-dev] Re: Burn the Squeak Image! (Why I am running for board)

Zulq Alam me at zulq.net
Sat Feb 28 22:56:53 UTC 2009

Hi Ramon,

Ramon Leon wrote:
> Seems no one heard a word Matthew said.  The idea that all those
> different forks will adopt some minimal kernel image is frankly absurd
> and highly unlikely to ever happen.  Matthew's correct, the best we
> could hope for would be to get them using common core packages and even
> that isn't trivial and requires workers rather than board members.

I was trying to guide the discussion back to Matthews proposal which I
agree with. I'm not suggesting they should adopt any image. I do think
however, that when a notion of a core/kernel image (set of Standard
packages) is converged upon then an image is built and released
containing these packages - perhaps a conversation for another day/thread.

I think getting the various communities to buy in and commit to a vision
of shared core packages should be the responsibility of the board. It
should be in each communities interest to work on such an activity. This
is where the real work will need to be done.

> Andreas is the only person I've seen proposing anything at all pragmatic
> for the board to do.  SNIP

What isn't pragmatic about Matthew's proposal? I don't think he suggests
  that the board does this themselves - maybe I misunderstood.

Matthew - could you explain further what you see are the boards roles
and responsibilities in a Standard Packages project?

> This idea that the board should be leading things is frankly flawed, all
> the forked version of and sub-communities of Squeak are the real
> leaders, they're the ones doing the work, experimenting with new ideas
> both good and bad, and making progress, the board should be following
> them and picking out the usable pieces for inclusion in the mainline
> Squeak, or better yet, Matthew's idea of core packages and forget the
> idea of a main Squeak image altogether.

I don't think the board should be following and picking. I don't think
that works. The sub communities should be playing an active role in this
and I think it should be the boards responsibility to:

   - Convince each community that it's worth doing
   - Find out and agree what needs to be done
   - Enable each community to work
       - Remove barriers
       - Define processes
       - Resources: tools, email lists, servers, etc
   - Manage the overall progress and lend support where necessary

- Zulq