[squeak-dev] Mouse Move on a Touch Screen ??

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Mon Jan 12 06:39:16 UTC 2009

Jim Rosenberg schrieb:
> What are people's thoughts on how to move the mouse on a touch screen
> without "touching down" somewhere?

My guess: Just don't try, you'll fail.
A touch screen GUI needs to be usable without mouse-overs, and even
dragging with mouse down is often not desirable.
I have used Squeak to implement an end-user application for recording
live audio to hard disk (and then creating CDs or MP3 files for portable
players). This application has a 8.4" 800x600 touchscreen display. GUI
design needs to take into account that people's fingers sometimes have
remarkable thickness (30 pixel height for buttons is considered too
small by some users). And everything has to work on mouse clicks (or
finger presses) only.
For an end-user application, these requirements can be met with relative
ease, but I would not want to program with such an input device. As
Edgar said, Genie might be a reasonable choice, but then you'd have to
define a complete gestural interaction language. There does not seem to
be a standard for that, unlike mouse interaction, where there mostly is
a consensus on how it works.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin