[squeak-dev] Re: Updating Universe

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jan 14 17:29:30 UTC 2009

Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Gary Chambers
> <gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Just wondering if it is a good or bad idea to remove older versions of
>> packages from the (dev) universe?
>> Particularly for UI Enhancements since it has been renamed to Polymorph.
>>
>> Don't want to cause anyone trouble but the (essentially obsolete) older
>> versions seem like they may be confusing, given that only one of the two
>> sets (Polymorph *or* UI Enhancements) should be loaded at any time.
>
> The rule is to never remove a package from the Universe so that people
> can update their image without problem. But if I were you, I would
> delete it :-).

Hm. I'm having the same problem. There are simply too many (broken)
pieces of Balloon3D floating around in the various universes. The "never
delete" rule certainly feels silly for something that is under
development - we can't realistically expect people to never make
mistakes or change their mind.

Technically speaking, how does one delete anything from a universe?

Cheers,
   - Andreas