[squeak-dev] Updating Universe

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 19:21:02 UTC 2009

2009/1/14, Gary Chambers <gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com>:
> Just wondering if it is a good or bad idea to remove older versions of
> packages from the (dev) universe?
> Particularly for UI Enhancements since it has been renamed to Polymorph.
>
> Don't want to cause anyone trouble but the (essentially obsolete) older
> versions seem like they may be confusing, given that only one of the two
> sets (Polymorph *or* UI Enhancements) should be loaded at any time.

+1

I can't imagine a reason why you'd want to load an older version. If
the latest in the universe is broken it doesn't belong into the
universe. Also I'm not sure that not removing old versions is
compatible with the mission statement of universes. Since all packages
in a universe are supposed to work together that would then have to be
extended to all possible combinations of versions of packages.

Cheers
Philippe