[squeak-dev] Re: second call for feedback on Naiad design

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sun Jan 18 00:09:01 UTC 2009

On Nov 21, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
>     Thanks for the comments! I'm responding to the comments so far
> in this single message. I see no reason to restrict Naiad-related
> discussion to a single thread; hopefully threads will emerge around
> particular specific issues, rather than particular people. :)
> Please feel free to break issues out into new threads... for this
> message, there's such a grab-bag going that I decided to deal with
> it all in one place.
>
>     Karl writes:
>
> > When this system works, won't image size be an issue, like an
> > ever-growing web browser cache that has no size limit?

I had two concerns along these lines.  I'm not so concerned about
absolute size, since disk is cheap.   But I wonder about the time/CPU
it will take to snapshot the whole image each time you edit a method
or evaluate something in the workspace (DoIts are recorded in the
history image, right?).  Appending to a file is an O(1) operation, but
snapshotting an image is O(n), where n is the total number of updates.

Another concern is data integrity.  What happens if your machine
crashes while you're snapshotting?  If you're simply appending to
a .changes file, there's no problem.  Of course, this is surmountable,
but the solution will be more complicated than a changes file.

>     I imagine the history memory will have various utilities, like:
>
> -    dumping all the compiled method info, because the subject memory
>     will always have a compiler
>
> -    dumping all the method source, because the subject memory will
>     never have a compiler :)

This level of flexibility worries me a bit.  It's cool that the model
supports these types of uses, but if it's going to replace
the .changes file, it needs to be simple and stable.

I realize that this is a bit unfair, because you're talking about the
interesting characteristics of the model, not focusing on how to make
the transition from .changes to Naiad.  At some point, though, we'll
have to have that conversation.

> -    storing its less-frequently-accessed editions in one or more
>     separate history memories, which spend most of their time as
>     suspended snapshot files, but which can be activated when
>     necessary. Remote message-sending is a fundamental part of
>     Spoon; there's no inherent reason why the history memory can't
> be a
>     federation of history memories instead.
>
>     Of course, one might decide to put editions in another object
>     database at any point instead (e.g., Magma or Gemstone). I just
>     want to provide something that provides the bare minimum
>     functionality "out of the box".

Good to see the focus on simplicity.  But what is the use-case driving
your definition of "bare minimum functionality"?  Is it a prototype
for people to gain exposure to Naiad?  Is it something that can
replace .changes for Joe Squeaker's day-to-day use?

Thanks for taking the time to document your design,
Josh