[squeak-dev] "position" or "location"?

Cameron Sanders csanders.personal at functional-analyst.com
Mon Jan 19 14:34:39 UTC 2009

In my mind, Locations often have names (.e.g. Ronnie's Bar,
UpperLeftCorner), whereas when Positions have names, the names
tend to refer to the shape of something more than where it is located (.e.g.
fetal position, "69"); although sometimes named positions refer to "where".

Another difference is that "position" can be a verb. So #position: is
verbish.

How's that for rubbish?

Cam

PS: so unless they are named, I would lean towards position - but that's a
personal preference.

Hi all.

I'm (still) designing a new Canvas API (http://gulik.pbwiki.com/Canvas).

When describing screen coordinates, which is a better term to use:
"location" or "position"? Is there a technical difference between these
words that I don't know about?

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg