[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Obama -- The Judas Goat

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sun Jan 25 20:17:54 UTC 2009

Thanks for the vote of confidence Frank.  I definitely did not send
these messages and neither did the several other people from who these
message claim to appear.  This is a rare example of a spam that
intelligently targets mailing lists by impersonating mailing list
members.

It is very awkward to automate mailing address moderation other than by
the email address (address portion only) of the sender.  This is about
the only reliable constant that you can expect the sender to update when
it does indeed change.  Of course the result is that this sort of thing
can happen.

In the past the risk has been acceptable, as can be seen by the
extremely low level of spam that has come through on this list
previously.  I greatly hope that this is a fluke and that it will not
repeat with signicant frequency.  Any other solution of which I'm aware
will be a significant annoyance for someone; in fact if this sort of
spam becomes common I predict that this will be the death of the most
well known mailing lists and we will have to switch to some system (web
forum, etc) where true authentication is required.

Ken