[squeak-dev] A New Community Development Model

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 12:40:00 UTC 2009

> I was a disbeliever of automatic procedures and wish a return to 3.8 good
> practice until some better tools  comes.

It's not an automatic procedure, its an automated procedure.

The "testing" image is built as people "decide" what is ready to be tested.

The "release" image is built as the release team "chooses" what is ready
to be released from the "testing" image.

The people doing the choosing are the ones that specify the quality or
lack thereof. The more is tested and the more feedback that is available
to those who submit the fixes the better.

If we had an automatic procedure, squeak could write itself... a few
years into the future, but we would need to include Asimov's 3 laws of
robotics by that point.
> I trust Colin and Goran, but MC2 and DS seems not ready yet, so all we have
> is old good (or evil) Change Sets.
>
> As user, I wish hit the button on Squeak flap and see updates load nicely,

As developer, I built an image carefully from scratch with a set of
packages that I have chosen. I don't want my user loading a bunch of
fixes from somewhere that I have no control over.

Given that we expect each version of squeak to be available in different
release flavors, minimal, dev, web,  fun etc. The idea of an updates
stream covering all derived images without breaking them is not really
tenable.

Keith