[squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu Jul 2 12:55:06 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:26:39 +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> Hi Klaus,
>>
>> as these are the times to deal with community and feelings your answer
>> is
>> a perfect sample what drives people like me away. I really don't like to
>> be offensive so please don't take it too literally.
>
> Okay, not taken. But what you wrote was against the active users of the
> bug report system, and I do not like you treat them this way. They are
> very valuable, have been very active in their spare time, reported and
> fixed things.

Oooh, I didn't mean anything like that. Maybe it is problem with my
english but I wouldn't understand it that way. I wasn't critizing any of
the guys that do the work. Most of them I admire because after some years
here I know what they can and I know what they do. So if anyone took it
the way you understood it I like to apologize. I just meant the state of
the tickets. This things grow without anyone being responsible. Just the
state is not satisfactory.

> In particular I don't like you saying "it looks like really nobody cares".
> Many things have been done to+with bugs.squeak.org in recent time, so it
> seems you are rather uninformed?
>
> This cannot be unanswered, you know what I mean.

I said it looks like really nobody cares. Is the sentence different if I
write "it appears"?? Sorry, but it does appear that way if you like at it
the first time. Still no offense meant.

> If you are not satisfied with the contents of Mantis, then why don't you
> do something against it? You could come back in a year from now and could
> tell "we've hunted them all down and closed all the unanswered cases",
> etc.

Yes, you are right. Everyone that is telling this all the time is right. I
do this myself occasionally. I could even state that projects like squeak
are suffering by people like me that only talk and do nothing. Everything
is right.

But it is exactly what I mean. There are bright people here and the topic
is interesting. But a lot of discussions end like the one we are having
right now. And that is the reason I don't have the feeling I can _grow_
inside this community because of this. It so hard to participate without
being a master already. I rarely post anything because of this and now I
remember why. And still no offense meant! I just let it go. I will first
see that I can do a lot of work in order to earn my next post...

... in the meantime I spent my time somewhere else.

> P.S. taking my message as a reason of your driving away would be a joke ;)

Klaus, it is not about driving _me_ away. And declaring it to be a joke
does not make it more harmless. I can just imagine that people that have
even less experience with squeak might get a even worse feeling about
this.

anyway, thanks for taking your time!

Norbert