[squeak-dev] A New Community Development Model

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:56:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Eliot Miranda wrote:
> > Hi Keith,
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:20 AM, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
> > <mailto:keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
> >
> >     The existing community development model works fine enough.
> >
> >     1. Submit changes as change sets to mantis.
> >
> >     2. Bob builds and tests the changes in a basic image, a dev image
> >     and a
> >     full image
> >
> >     While you need your changes, and await the release with your fixes
> >     integrated into it, you can load them manually from Mantis.
> >
> >     3. When Bob builds the new release he automatically loads changesets
> >     from mantis, and fills in the MC repositories together with commit
> >     messages.
> >
> >     The result is an image that looks as though it has been managed
> >     with MC,
> >     but the work is submitted in changesets that we all prefer.
> >
> >     This is an open process, and you can see what is due for inclusion or
> >     not by querying mantis.
> >

> > I just went to squeak.org <http://squeak.org> and followed community
> > links and I can find no reference to Bob.  The things I want to be
> > able to see and find easily are
> >
> > 1. sample images
> On their way.... see ftp.squeak.org/3.11 for some initial examples where
> bob is building the LPF image
> > 2. list of packages loaded in the image
> This can be be included in the metafile that accompanies every build.
> Images also contain documentation of the bug fixes that have been loaded.
> > 3. test results (name of class, number of green, yellow and red tests,
> > and if possible the assertion that failed or the error message for
> > each yellow and red test).
> Sure... the results from TestReporter do that. I am working on it. I did
> have some icons that you can add to apache to give you the colors.
> > How do I get at this kind of info?  If I can't get at this then Bob is
> > an abstraction I don't understand and can't trust.  If it is
> > manifested then it needs to be findable easily from squeak.org
> > <http://squeak.org>.
> This info will be available wherever bob is running, bob is supposed be
> runnable in a distributed fashion, some results are being synced up to
> ftp.squeak.org however you can see my bob server at
> ftp://squeak:viewpoints@bob.safeprayer.com/bob/output

Good (ish ;) ).  Might I suggest that putting effort into making a proper
web interface available (Seaside?) would be effort well spent.  The ftp
interface is better than nothing but it ain't very friendly even with Mac OS
X finder integration.

But good.  Thanks.

Why can't we have links from the front page of squeak.org to a page
describing this, even if describing it as a nascent effort?  That web
approachability is IMO absolutely crucial in its gaining acceptance.