[squeak-dev] Squeak vision

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Jul 2 18:20:46 UTC 2009

At Wed, 1 Jul 2009 19:30:49 -0400,
Ian Trudel wrote:

> Great. That would be really interesting to learn more about that.
> Especially in term of deployment, localization, maintenance and
> support in general. Are those open systems or close products?

  What I had in mind were (notice that I said he worked on or his
contribution is used in):

  - (A pirate game for a cable company?)
  - Plopp
  - Sophie
  - Qwaq Forums
  - (A company that used Squeak broswer plugin for something)
  - ...

As an open system, well, Etoys would count^^;

> I understand that. Could we consider Squeak to have its own roadmap?

  Sure.

  While there are questions like whether it can be done in a
reasonable way or not and say, and whether it can be compatible with
the previous Etoys systems, the vision of having "an authoring system
for children of all ages and maintain it" is a worthy one, and quite a
few seem to be supporting the idea.  And it wouldn't really harm
"grown ups" view of the system.

> >  - I could say that Squeak left the visionary people when more people
> >    in the community get only interested in "grown up" parts and
> >    themselves.
>
> Possibly. They were however at the head of the project. Doesn't it
> tell you something?

  Many things, but possibly we don't agree^^;

-- Yoshiki