[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak vision

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Fri Jul 3 08:32:37 UTC 2009

As both an educator and a developer my personal feeling on Etoys and
Squeak is some degree of frustration when it come to ship third party
extension for educative use. Obviously I am thinking about DrGeoII.

The state of the art regarding the loading of external Smalltalk
software within Etoys (and Squeak) is for now unacceptable (in term of
user acceptability). The net result is high difficulty to propose
loadable extension then frustration from the developer, then poor
implication of the later one.

All in all, my feeling is that if your participating to the core you are
in, otherwise if you are developing third party extension you are out. I
don't think it is a proper way to build a community.

My personal hope is Pharo will address that in the future (without
mentioning the ability to build a proper user interface), but sadly I
will miss Etoys.

Hilaire