[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak vision

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Fri Jul 3 16:01:00 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg a écrit :

> The Scratch team just made different design choices, they are not
> universally better or worse. I admire the clarity and ease-of-use of

Obviously, but the net consequence is different user acceptability, and
as far as user acceptability means something, Scratch is better in that
field.

Nevertheless, I share your feel about the Etoys way of doing things
which I largely prefer to the most constrained way of doing with
Scratch. But for average user, the constrained way of Scratch seems to
be better, probably the user stress is lower thanks to more guided
interface.

If we want user to spend resources (time) learning and using Etoys, the
user should see an important benefice. I think Etoys should come with
more advanced artifacts to build really complex things very simply (aka
DrGeo for geometry, kedema for particle simulation, same with
electricity, and many more). Such complex artifacts could interact to
each other thanks to the Etoys scripting, then yes the user could see
really neat benefice worth the energy learning Etoys.

The first step in this direction could be a fast bytecode package
loader, without the need to compile Smalltalk code.

Hilaire