[squeak-dev] Separation of EToys and Squeak

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 16:33:52 UTC 2009

I have never used EToys and am no Squeak guru
but allow me to an opinion which to me at
least appears obvious.

My understanding from previous posts is that originally
EToys was build first and Squeak came later which is
why they are so closely integrated.  If this is true
then it was still a mistake to so closely integrate EToys
and Squeak; simply bad design!
But what's done is done.  If the EToys guru's feel now
that it is not worth their while to factor out Squeak from EToys
then who am I to judge especially since I am not willing
to help.
However for Squeak it is a different matter.  I consider
that  EToys must be factored out of Squeak and hopefully
made into a loadable package.  It is simply good design
that must be done preferably sooner than later.
When refactoring is needed but not done the mess accumulates
until refactoring becomes unavoidable but very difficult to do.
So why not do it now; that would be by you of course; I know
nothing about EToys; my babies are finite state machines,
parsing, and for the moment, the FasterSets package.  :-)

Ralph Boland