[squeak-dev] Re: http://source.squeak.org/trunk is now at 3.10.2

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 4 10:14:14 UTC 2009

> Hi Ian,
>
> the source.squeak.org model is centered "around" small units, packages
> (the thing supported by the MC tool). So a handful of developers can
> and do work with/in the same package, usually without disturbing other
> teams.

Ok lets take an example.... I have a package "Logging" one  possible way
forward is to replace every instance of Transcript show: with a call to
the logging framework.  e.g. self log this.  What are the chances that
this little project will be focused upon one package where I can do my
changes "without disturbing other teams"

> You always know who's with you in "your" package(s), and resolve "bad"
> contributions within the team, example: delete an unwanted contribution.
>
> This is the same as in the Pharo fork, an identical copy (up to
> isomorphism, of course ;) of tools and organization. And it is the
> same for non-core packages, with developers using the
> www.squeaksource.com repository (or a local repository in their
> shop/at home).
>
> And then there are the release-team people, the "gods" who pull
> together from the various teams.

Which is an entirely different development model to the one proposed and
accepted by the board.

It is well known that the attrition rate for squeak release teams is
extremely high. Notice how Stephane and Marcus didnt come back for
another go, the way was open for them to at the time. Doesn't look to me
like anyone has learned that particular lesson from history.

Keith