[squeak-dev] Re: Re-liason proposal

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sat Jul 4 16:44:06 UTC 2009

I'd like to try to turn this discussion into another direction.  What
would you have us do now?

It's reasonable to argue that the Squeak Oversight Board made some
mistakes regarding communication.  I would point out that Keith
specifically requested that no discussion occur on squeak-dev.  I would
also point out that we tried to discuss issues with Keith many times
elsewhere.  Did anyone take a version of Andreas' plan to Keith and
directly ask his opinion?  No, not to my knowledge.  Andreas has now
apologized for that twice.  Versions of the idea were available for a
couple of days to everyone before the Board took any action.  The
response seemed to be favorable.

So what now?  As far as I can tell Keith would have us simply go back to
the way things were at the beginning of the week and completely cancel
Andreas' plan.  When we made this decision we specifically were not
canceling 3.11 or Keith's plan, we were adding a way for contributions
to be made.  I've specifically tried to engage Keith on what in Andreas'
plan interferes with his plan a couple of times and that both plans may
have to make some compromises to co-exist.  So far I've only been able
to understand a couple of issues that seem easily addressable from a
technical perspective otherwise it seems to simply come down to a belief
on his part that direct access to a large group to the content of the
image as packages is not going to work.  I have questions about that
myself, I don't see any way to answer those questions without trying it.

I don't see why, at least for a while, we can't pursue both efforts and
see where it goes.

Ken